Friday, July 4, 2014

Narrow Rough Road


Crater Lake
Maps can be a funny thing sometimes. They can either get you to the right place are completely get you to the wrong place. They can also led you up a narrow rough road but they will never say that it is a rough road. But the thing with narrow rough roads is that they can take you to really remote beautiful places and those are the places that you want to be on a busy weekend like the Fourth of July. This weekend we had planned on going in to the White Clouds for a few days but some people that we had invited couldn't make it so we postponed for a later date. So instead my father and I had planned a long road trip to a few lakes where we could either car camp at or at least day hike into them.
The White Clouds
Are first lake that we went to or tried to get to was Crater Lake. When we got to the top of Railroad Ridge the views there where out of this world, or should I say out of Idaho because you could see into Montana. You could also look over at the Lost Rivers, Pioneers and a big portion of the Frank Church. Going back to the map it says we could go over the top of Railroad Ridge and drop down into Crater Lake, well after trying a few routes and roads that petered off or still have snow on them we made the smart decision and turned around. On to the next lake we went.
Views From Railroad Ridge
A Few Elk
Part of Livingston Mine
By the time we got to Bayhorse, it was about six hours of driving and zero hours of fishing, something is not right here. By the time I walked around the lake of Bayhorse I hooked into three fish and most of the time was spent fighting off bait fisherman so we booked out of there in order to get to Spruce Gulch before sunset.
Bayhorse Lake
Challis Through The Burnt Trees
Another three and a half hours of driving and an hour an a half of hike we made it to Spruce Gulch for an hour of fishing with no such luck of catching a tiger muskie or even seeing one. Another two hours of fishing in the morning with only seeing three tiger muskie, two follow and none swallowed. Theirs too many hours being put into tiger muskie fishing without any hook up or take. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong but I'm not going to give up. I do feel like that when I do catch bigger fish its based purely on luck, luck of being in the right spot at the right time. But my luck continues to increase by the amount of time I spend on the water and the amount of time my fly is in the water. The thing that I could take away from Spruce Gulch is that I am getting really good at taking pictures of tiger muskie, I now just need to get one out of the water.
Spruce Gulch Lake

Twin Peaks Lookout

As I worked with Phil this week and got to know him a little better. It was cool to hear all his amazing stories and adventures. After talking to him I realized that I would love to read a book about this guy, but after taking a step back and realizing that Phil and I are about the same person. Part of the reason I am writing this blog is to remember all the good times that I have had and have had the opportunity to share with others.
Spruce Gulch
Why do I succeed?

I succeed because I am willing to do the things you are not. I will fight against the odds. I will sacrifice. I am not shackled by fear, insecurity or doubt. I feel those emotions but I drink them in and then swallow them away to the blackness of hell. I am motivated by accomplishment, not pride. Pride consumes the weak and kills their heart from within. If I fall... I will get up. If I am beaten... I will return. I will never stop getting better. I will never give up... EVER.

That is why I succeed.--Unkown


No comments:

Post a Comment